Slow Cooker Butter Chicken is rich, saucy, not too spicy, and perfect when you're in the mood for takeout. Serve with white rice and even naan to satisfy your Indian food craving. Using coconut milk keeps the sauce from feeling too heavy.
Why I Love It:
- 5 Minute Prep - Just chop up the chicken and add everything to the crockpot!
- Set it and Forget it - Love a hands off slow cooker dinner!
- Creamy and Flavorful - Coconut milk makes the sauce super creamy while curry paste and spices bring the flavor.
Ingredients for Easy Butter Chicken
- Canned coconut milk - full or low fat
- Plain greek yogurt
- Tomato paste
- Red curry paste
- Spices: turmeric, cayenne pepper, garam masala, paprika, ground ginger, salt and pepper
- Garlic and minced onion
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I brown chicken before slow cooking?
While you can brown chicken first before slow cooking - this can add extra flavor - you don't need to for this recipe. The curry paste and spices add so much flavor to the butter chicken that you can just add the chicken raw to the crock pot.
Is it better to cook chicken on high or low in the crockpot?
While you can cook chicken on high or low, I prefer cooking on low for best results. Cooking chicken low and slow results in tender and juicer chicken. Whether you cook on high or low, always make sure your chicken is fully cooked to 165 degrees F.
- Vegan - To make this recipe plant-based, try swapping in two cans of drained and rinsed chickpeas instead of the chicken thighs. Then omit the butter.
- Chicken Breasts - Instead of thighs you can also use chopped up boneless, skinless chicken thighs. The cook time will remain the same.
- Spice level - If you like spicy food, just increase the cayenne pepper.
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating
- Storage - Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freezing - Leftovers can also be frozen in freezer containers for up to 3 months. For best results, thaw in the fridge before reheating.
- Reheating - I like to reheat in a pot on the stove, but you can microwave as well. If needed add a splash of broth, cream, or coconut milk to loosen up the sauce.
Other Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken - only 5 ingredients and perfect for meal prep.
- Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup - Just add the chicken and other pantry staples to your crockpot and let it cook. An easy weeknight dinner and freezer friendly!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup - ultimate comfort recipe. Hearty, comforting, and perfect for cold weather.
Like this recipe? Sign up for my e-mail list so you get new recipe notifications straight to your inbox as well as occasional ‘bonus’ content not found on the blog! E-mail link sign up!
Those ads on the page? A portion of all ad revenue is being donated to Warrior Dog Rescue. A MN-based dog rescue that I have personally fostered and volunteered with.Print
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken is rich, saucy, not too spicy, and perfect when you're in the mood for takeout. Serve with white rice and even naan to satisfy your Indian food craving.
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk, full or low-fat
- ¾ cups plain greek yogurt
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons garam masala spice blend
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, use to your spice preference
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 tablespoons salted or unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Cooked white rice
- Fresh cilantro
- Stir Sauce - In the slow cooker insert, stir together all of the ingredients except for the chicken and butter.
- Add Chicken - Add the chicken pieces to the sauce and stir to coat. Top with the butter.
- Slow Cook - Cover and cook on Low for 4-6 hours or on High for 2-3 hours. The chicken should have an internal temp of 165 degrees F. Once done cooking, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve - Serve over cooked rice and top with some fresh cilantro and red pepper flakes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Main Dish, Slow Cooker
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Slow cooker butter chicken, healthier butter chicken, lighter butter chicken, crockpot butter chicken