Recreate your favorite Indian takeout meal with this easy Slow Cooker Butter Chicken. Indian cooking can be intimidating to first timers. But, don’t be! Once you have a few staple spices in your pantry, you’ll find yourself making it more and more. And this Butter Chicken has the wonderful curry taste and is extra creamy with just a little kick. And it’s so so easy! Just dump all the ingredients in your crock-pot, set it, and forget it. Your kitchen is going to smell sooooo good all day while this cooks. And is there anything more comforting than fresh Indian food on a big heaping pile of rice.
Some slow cooker recipes require browning of the meat first (which I usually 100% recommend!). But, this recipe doesn’t need it. Just mix up the yummy curry yogurt sauce in the slow cooker insert. Stir in your chicken thigh chunks. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on High for 3-4 hours. Super easy.
First, for our yummy curry sauce.
What You’ll Need for the Sauce:
- Canned coconut milk (full or low fat)
- Plain greek yogurt
- Tomato paste
- Red curry paste
- Spices: turmeric, cayenne pepper, garam masala, paprika, ground ginger, salt and pepper
- Garlic and minced onion
Mix everything up and add in your chicken thigh chunks. You can also use cut up chicken breasts, but I like the moistness of the thighs. Just cut either up into bite size chunks (about 1 1/2 inch pieces).
Now the final, most important step. Let’s put the ‘butter’ in Butter Chicken. Add two tablespoons of butter. Just two tablespoons. It doesn’t take much and I TOLD you this was healthy
I love this recipe as meal prep or for a decadent Sunday night meal. All you need is a big bowl of white rice (or brown rice, cauliflower rice, or quinoa). You should also probably pick up some naan… Are you drooling yet?
How did this recipe work for you?? Let me know in the comments!
This recipe is featured in a roundup of Best Slow Cooker Recipes. Check it out!Print
Recreate your favorite Indian takeout meal with this easy Slow Cooker Butter Chicken. Just dump all the ingredients in your crock-pot, set it, and forget it. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk (full or low-fat)
- 3/4 cups plain greek yogurt
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/2 medium-large sweet yellow onion (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced or crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons garam masala spice blend
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (use to your spice preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (cut into bite-size chunks)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ground black pepper
- Cooked white rice (or brown rice, cauliflower rice, or quinoa)
- fresh cilantro
- Crushed red pepper flakes (for an extra kick!)
- In the slow cooker insert, stir together all Butter Chicken ingredients except for the chicken, butter, and black pepper. Add the chicken pieces to the sauce and stir to coat. Top with the butter. Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on High for 3-4 hours. Once done cooking, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve over cooked rice, top with some fresh cilantro and red pepper flakes if you want an extra kick. Don’t forget the naan on the side 🙂
- Category: Main Dish, Slow Cooker
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Indian