Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Wings are easy, delicious, crowd friendly, and perfect for game day. These wings are so simple to make with an easy easy dry rub of pantry staple spices. Then brush with your favorite barbecue, broil, and enjoy! The wings are so moist, tender, and they practically fall off the bone.
Making chicken wings in the Instant Pot is very easy and perfect to make a big batch to serve a crowd.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Chicken Wings – separated into the flats and drums. You can buy them like this (my preferred choice) or do it yourself. Here’s a tutorial showing how to cut chicken wings.
- Spices – Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Onion Powder, Dried Oregano, Dried Thyme, and Cayenne Pepper (optional, the spice helps balance the sweetness of the barbecue sauce)
- Barbecue Sauce - store-bought or homemade (like this Carolina Style BBQ Sauce recipe or Honey BBQ sauce recipe)
Recipe Step by Step:
- Prepare the Wings. If needed, split and trim your wings and then pat dry.
- Toss Wings. Next, toss the wings with the spices.
- Pressure Cook. Add water and the trivet to the Instant Pot. Place the wings on top of the trivet. The trivet keeps the wings from touching the water. The water is needed for the pot to come to pressure. Pressure Cook and then Naturally Release the pressure before Quick Releasing the remaining pressure.
- Add Sauce and Broil. Toss the cooked wings with the barbecue sauce and broil so the wings get a little crispy and bubbly.
- Enjoy! Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
First time using your Instant Pot, start with the water test!
The ‘water test’ is a great way to learn how it works and what to expect during the pressure cooking process. Here is an easy Instant Pot Water Test step by step.
The ‘test’ does not make your Instant Pot work better, but it will allow you to get comfortable before actual food and ingredients are involved.
What size Instant Pot should be used?
Pictured is an 8qt Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, but a 6qt size will work just fine.
How long do the leftovers last?
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days. You can reheat them in the microwave or in the oven or toaster oven.
Can this recipe be doubled to make more chicken wings?
Yes! As long as your Instant Pot is large enough, you can make more wings. I have an 8qt and have been able to fit 4 pounds of wings in one batch.
The rule of thumb is to not fill the Instant Pot more than halfway when pressure cooking.
Like this recipe? Sign up for my e-mail list so you get a weekly e-mail with new recipes from the week as well as occasional ‘bonus’ content not found on the blog! E-mail link sign up!
Those ads on the page? A portion of all ad revenue is being donated to Warrior Dog Rescue. A MN-based dog rescue that I foster and volunteer with.Print
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Wings
nstant Pot BBQ Chicken Wings are easy, delicious, crowd friendly, and perfect for game day. These wings are so simple to make with an easy easy dry rub of pantry staple spices. Then brush with your favorite barbecue, broil, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Instant Pot, Sides
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- 2 lbs Chicken Wings, split into flats and drumettes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, optional
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ½ cup Water
- ½ cup Barbecue Sauce
- Dry Wings. Dry your wings and add to a medium bowl.
- Toss with Spices. Toss the dried wings with the spices until evenly coated.
- Pressure Cook. Add the water to the Instant Pot liner then add the trivet. Add the seasoned wings on top of the trivet so they aren't touching the water. The wings can be piled on top of each other. Cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes. Naturally Release the pressure for 10 minutes, then Quick Release the remaining pressure.
- Broil with BBQ Sauce. Preheat your oven's broiler on high. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Toss the completed wings with the barbecue sauce or use a brush to coat the wings and add to prepared baking sheet. Broil for 2-4 minutes until the edges are dark brown and starting to get a little crispy and bubbly. Watch carefully so they do not burn.
- Enjoy! Serve the wings with extra barbecue sauce or other dipping sauce.
Amount of Wings - Depending on the size of your Instant Pot, you can cook more wings. I have an 8qt Instant Pot and often double the recipe to make 4 pounds. The cook time will remain the same.
- Serving Size: ⅙ of recipe
- Calories: 373
- Sugar: 9.3 g
- Sodium: 516.5 mg
- Fat: 21.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.7 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 30.7 g
- Cholesterol: 179.8 mg
Keywords: Instant Pot Chicken Wings, Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Wings, BBQ Chicken Wing Recipe