If Monday’s Instant Pot Salsa Chicken recipe convinced you to bust out your IP, or even take the plunge and buy one, then I have another recipe for you to try out. I used to always make my chicken wings in the oven and it would take a solid hour. Don’t get me wrong, they were good wings. But ever since we made them in the Instant Pot, we’re never going back. The IP makes the wings so tender, the meat just falls off the bone. These are, dare I say it, the best chicken wings I’ve had. I’m talking better than the delicious fried and crispy wings you get at your nearby bar.
And because these are not fried, just pressure-cooked then finished with a quick broil in the oven, these are healthy right? RIGHT?! If calling these IP wings a healthy protein source isn’t okay, then IT’S OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY. Okay?
Barbecue Chicken Wings made easy in the Instant Pot. Meat so tender it falls off the bone, you’ll think these were cooked low and slow for hours.
- 4–5 lbs chicken wings (trimmed and separated (tips discarded)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (feel free to adjust to taste. )
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (of your choice)
- Dry your wings with a paper towel and toss with the spices.
- Add the trivet to your Instant Pot liner and add the seasoned wings on top. Pour the water around the wings. Cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes. Naturally Release the pressure for 10 minutes, then Quick Release.
- Preheat your oven’s broiler on high. Toss the completed wings with the barbecue sauce.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Place the sauced wings on the sheet in one layer (use 2 baking sheets if necessary). Vent the oven door and broil for about 5 minutes until the edges are dark brown and crispy. Watch them carefully and be careful not to burn.
- The wings are great served as is or with a dipping sauce, such as ranch or blue cheese or even with the leftover barbecue sauce.
I have an 8qt Instant Pot – if yours is smaller you may want to lower the amount of wings, or do 2 batches.
Wings – To save time, you can pay a little more to buy wingettes that are already separated instead of doing it yourself.
- Category: Instant Pot, Sides
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American