I have an easy, comforting, and crowd pleasing recipe for you. This Slow Cooker Pork Ragu satisfies your Italian and pasta cravings with little work. All you need is a pork shoulder and some pantry ingredients (including red wine, which is definitely a pantry ingredient in my book..), and several hours in your slow cooker. It’s perfect for a Sunday dinner on a chilly night.
Thanks to our handy dandy slow cooker this comforting, flavorful meal can be on the table with ease. You’ll want to make this Slow Cooker Pork Ragu on the regular!
The key to making this Slow Cooker Pork Ragu extra flavorful is by browning the pork shoulder before adding to the slow cooker. We season all sides of the pork with lots of salt and pepper, and sear over medium-high heat in an oiled cast-iron skillet. I even recommend scraping any browned bits and oil into the slow cooker.
Once the pork is browned, the “hard” work is done! Add the ingredients to your slow cooker, cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. The low and slow cooking makes the pork so tender and just falls apart. The whole tomatoes break apart and the garlic cloves infuse in the sauce and get extra extra soft. Yes please!
Now all that’s left is cooking up a big ol’ pot of pasta. I love pappardelle noodles for this. The wide noodle is great for handling the pulled pork. But, other pasta noodles would be a great alternative! I also love this with some rice or quinoa as well.
This recipe is featured in a roundup of Best Slow Cooker Recipes. Check it out!Print
Slow Cooker Pork Ragu is comforting, filling, and made easily in your crock pot. Made using mainly pantry ingredients, it’s a perfect meal for Sunday dinner. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com.
- 2 1/2 lb pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (optional for browning)
- 1 28oz can whole tomatoes
- 2 medium carrots (diced)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup red wine (can substitute white wine or broth)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan (for serving)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (minced)
- 1 lb pappardelle (or other pasta for serving)
- Optional: Brown the pork shoulder. Sprinkle the pork liberally on all sides with salt and pepper. In a cast iron skillet, heat the oil to medium-high heat. Brown the pork on all sides (about 2 minutes per side). Transfer the browned pork to your slow cooker insert.
Note: Even if you are not browning the pork shoulder, still salt and pepper the pork.
- In the slow cooker insert, add the pork, tomatoes, carrots, onion, whole garlic cloves, wine, and dried oregano. Cover and cook for 4-5 hours on low or 6-8 hours on high.
- 30 minutes before serving, cook the pasta according to package directions. When the pork is done cooking, shred the pork shoulder with two forks. Stir together with the cooking liquid and fold in the parsley.
- Serve with the cooked pasta and shredded parmesan. Enjoy!
- Category: Main Dish, Slow Cooker
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Italian