Slow Cooker Korean Beef is super tender and takes just a few minutes to prep. Just dump a chuck roast and a simple Korean-inspired sauce in the crock pot to make a delicious shredded beef. Serve with rice and some steamed veggies for dinner. And it reheats well for meal-prep – even freezer friendly!
Looking for a Korean beef recipe using ground beef… I love this 15-minute Korean Ground Beef recipe.
Why I Love It:
- 5 Minutes of Prep-Time – Just mix up the sauce and add everything to the crockpot.
- Simple Ingredients – All you need is a chuck roast and some pantry staple ingredients to make the Korean-inspired sauce.
- Tender and Flavorful – The chuck roast gets fall apart tender and is super flavorful from the sauce.
Ingredients You’ll Need for the Shredded Korean Beef:
- Chuck Roast
- Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Fresh Garlic and Ginger – you can buy pre-minced in a jar to save on prep
- Onion Powder
- Rice Vinegar
- Sriracha – this helps offset the sweetness from the brown sugar, you can adjust the quantity to your spice preference. Or even completely omit if you don’t like any spice.
- Sesame Oil
- Sesame Seeds and Sliced Green Onions – to sprinkle on at the end.
How to Make Crockpot Korean Beef
- Add Chuck Roast – First, add the chuck roast to your slow cooker.
- Mix Sauce – Next, in a small bowl, mix up the Korean-inspired sauce ingredients and pour over the chuck roast.
- Slow Cook –Finally, cook on low for 7-8 hours. The chuck roast will become super tender and practically fall apart when shredding.
Storage, Reheating, and Freezing
Storage: Leftover Korean beef can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days.
Reheating: It can be reheated in the microwave with the leftover cooked rice.
Freezing: The Korean beef can be frozen before or after cooking. To prep it before cooking, just add the chuck roast and sauce to a large freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw fully and then cook in the slow cooker per recipe instructions. To freeze after cooking, the cooked shredded beef can be frozen in airtight freezer bags for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat per above.
What size of slow cooker should be used?
Pictured is large 8qt slow cooker. But the crockpot just needs to be big enough to fit the chuck roast – so a slightly smaller slow cooker would work just fine. A 5-6 qt sized slow cooker would work.
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- To Decrease Cook Time – The cook time is long (7-8 hours) in order to really make the chuck roast tender. If you want to decrease the cook time, you can cut the chuck roast into a few big chunks.
- Extra Moisture from Chuck Roast – The chuck roast releases moisture when cooking. If you prefer your shredded beef ‘less saucy’ you can shred outside of the crock pot and just toss with some of the sauce. I like to toss with all of the juices to keep it moist and use a slotted spoon to serve.
Like this recipe? Sign up for my e-mail list so you get new recipe notifications straight to your inbox as well as occasional ‘bonus’ content not found on the blog! Click Here!Print
Beef and Garnishes
- 3 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2–3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced or grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha, adjust to spice preference
- Mix Sauce. In a bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients.
- Add to Slow Cooker. Place the chuck roast in a large slow cooker. Pour over sauce and flip chuck roast over a few times so it gets a little coated on all sides.
- Cook. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours. You can also cook on high for 4 hours, but I prefer low as it becomes more tender. The beef is done when it is tender and easily shreds with two forks.
- Serve. Shred chuck roast with two forks and toss with some or all of the sauce in the slow cooker. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onions, and serve.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Mains, Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Slow Cooker Korean Beef, Korean Beef Recipe, Korean Shredded Beef, Slow Cooker Chuck Roast Recipe, Slow Cooker Shredded Beef