Don’t get me wrong, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the onion dip that you make by mixing the packet with some sour cream. I will NEVER be above that dip. That said, this homemade Caramelized Onion Dip is in a league of its own. All it requires is the patience to spend 15 ish minutes caramelized the thinly sliced onions then mixing all the ingredients together. Serve with your favorite potato chips for an out of this world party snack.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Onion Dip:
- Canola Oil
- Sour Cream
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Fresh Chives
- Potato Chips for serving
If you take my word for anything, please please let the dip sit in the fridge for an hour or two before serving. All the flavors depend and meld together. Trust me, the wait is worth it. This also makes this onion dip perfect to make in advance.
Caramelized Onion Dip is the BEST appetizer or snack for any party. It’s seriously addicting! Once you start, you can’t stop!
Homemade Caramelized Onion Dip is perfect for your next party and can even be made in advance! Serve with your favorite potato chips and enjoy. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 2 tablespoonss canola oil
- 1 medium-large yellow onion (thinly sliced then the slices cut into half or thirds)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- In a medium-large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until caramelized (very soft and tender, reduced, and a dark brown but not burnt). Stir frequently. It will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer onions to a medium bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to onions and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving so the flavors can meld.
- Serve with potato chips and enjoy!
The onion dip can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Category: Appetizer, Snack
- Cuisine: American