This recipe for caramelized onion dip will become your new go-to for any party. Easy to make and can even be made in advance! Combine caramelized onions with sour cream, mayo, and a few spices. Serve with your favorite potato chips for an out of this world snack.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
You only need 5 simple ingredients plus a few spices to make a delicious onion dip from scratch. Here’s what you need:
- Onion – I like to use sweet yellow onions
- Canola Oil
- Sour Cream
- Spices – Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
- Fresh Chives
- Potato Chips, for serving
How to Make Caramelized Onion Dip
Making onion dip from scratch is surprisingly easy! Just caramelize the onions then mix together the dip.
- Caramelize Onions – This dip only requires a small amount, so they brown and caramelize faster than your typical batch. It takes about 25-30 minutes on the stove.
- Mix Dip – Mix the slightly cooled onions with the dip ingredients.
- Chill and Store – Cover the dip and chill in the fridge for 1 hour (or more) before serving. This helps the flavors meld together.
Make Ahead and Leftovers
- Make Ahead – Let the dip sit in the fridge for an hour or two (or even overnight) before serving. All the flavors depend and meld together.
- Leftovers and Storage – Leftover onion dip can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What is the best onion to caramelize?
Yellow and sweet onions are my favorites due to their existing sweetness levels. But red onions are a fun swap and add a deep purple color.
Other Recipes Using Caramelized Onions:
- Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions – If you don’t want as much hands on time, you can also make caramelized onions in the slow cooker! This recipe makes a very big batch, but you can even freeze the leftovers.
- Caramelized Onion and Pancetta Quiche – Skip the onion step in the recipe and just use about 3/4 cup of caramelized onions for the filling.
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Onions – Rich, decadent, and perfect for a holiday brunch or dinner. They are elevated with the addition of caramelized onions that add amazing flavor to compliment the cheesy potatoes.
Like this recipe? Sign up for my e-mail list so you get new recipe notifications straight to your inbox as well as occasional ‘bonus’ content not found on the blog! Click Here!Print
Homemade Caramelized Onion Dip is perfect for your next party and can even be made in advance! Serve with your favorite potato chips and enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, thinly sliced then the slices cut in half or thirds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced chives
- Caramelize Onions – In a medium-large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until caramelized (very soft and tender, reduced, and a dark brown but not burnt). Stir frequently. It will take about 25-30 minutes.
- Slightly Cool Onions – Transfer onions to a medium bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix Dip – Add remaining ingredients to onions and stir to combine.
- Chill Dip – Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving so the flavors can meld.
- Serve – Serve with potato chips and enjoy!
The onion dip can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Snack
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Caramelized Onion Dip Recipe, How to make caramelized onion dip