Pork Egg Roll Bowls are an easy one-pan dinner that takes just 15 minutes to cook! Low carb and keto friendly as well. Tastes just like an egg roll without the wrapper. The two main ingredients are just pork sausage (or ground pork) and a bag of coleslaw mix. So simple for a takeout-inspired dinner!
The flavors of your favorite Chinese takeout appetizer in a lighter meal.
How To Make Pork Egg Roll Bowls:
Ingredients You’ll Need for Egg Roll Bowls:
- Sesame Oil
- Onion - white onion or yellow onion
- Green Onions - also called scallions or spring onions
- Pork Sausage - or ground pork
- Garlic - fresh cloves or a jar of minced
- Ginger - fresh or a jar of minced
- Bag of Coleslaw Mix
- Soy Sauce - or coconut aminos
- Sesame Seeds
How to Make Egg Roll Bowls
- First, sauté the onions.
- Then, add the pork sausage and crumble and brown. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until aromatic.
- Add the coleslaw mix, soy sauce, and sriracha and cook until softened and combined.
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds - enjoy!
Recipe Tips and FAQs
What kind of meat is used?
I typically make this recipe with regular pork sausage (NOT Italian Sausage).
But ground pork is an easy substitute or you could even substitute a turkey sausage, ground turkey, or ground beef.
Is this recipe a complete meal?
I think so!! If I want to make it even more filling, I love topping it with a fried egg.
You could also serve it with steamed rice or lettuce cups.
How many servings does this make?
Depending if you’re feeding adults or kids and how hungry you are, I would say 3-4 servings.
You can stretch it further by serving topped with a fried egg, a side of rice, or as a lettuce wrap filling.
What typically is in an egg roll?
Egg Rolls are a kind of deep-fried appetizer commonly served in Asian restaurants.
Chinese egg rolls are typically savory and filled with shredded cabbage and pork. The inspiration behind this recipe!
Is this egg roll in a bowl recipe paleo or Whole30 friendly?
It can be! The only non-compliant ingredients are the soy sauce and sriracha. For the soy sauce, you can substitute coconut aminos to make it paleo-friendly. And you can also swap in a paleo-sriracha substitute like this one.
I can’t find coleslaw mix? Can I make my own?
Absolutely! A blend of shredded green cabbage, shredded purple cabbage, and shredded carrot will do.
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrot
Like this recipe? Sign up for my e-mail list so you get new recipe notifications straight to your inbox as well as occasional ‘bonus’ content not found on the blog! E-mail link sign up!
Those ads on the page? A portion of all ad revenue is being donated to Warrior Dog Rescue. A MN-based dog rescue that I have personally fostered and volunteered with.Print
Pork Egg Roll Bowls are an easy one-pan dinner that takes just 15 minutes to make! Low carb and keto friendly as well. Tastes just like an egg roll without the wrapper. The two main ingredients are just pork sausage (or ground pork) and a bag of coleslaw mix. So simple for a takeout-inspired dinner! Keto and Paleo Friendly!
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1lb pork sausage, or ground pork
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 14 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- sesame seeds, optional for topping
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Sauté the Onions. In a large skillet, heat to medium and add the sesame oil. Add the diced white onion and the whites of the sliced green onions. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Cook the Pork. Add the ground pork sausage. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste. Cook the sausage, crumbling and browning, for 3-5 minutes. When the sausage is almost fully cooked (just a little pink left), add the garlic and ginger. Continue to cook for 1 minute until the pork is fully cooked (no pink remaining) and the garlic and ginger is soft and fragrant.
- Add Coleslaw. Add the coleslaw mix to the skillet along with the soy sauce and sriracha. Sauté everything together until the coleslaw mix is softened and everything is combined. About 3-5 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve and Enjoy. Top with the greens of the green onions and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, One Pan
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Egg Roll Bowl, Keto Egg Roll Bowl, Paleo Egg Roll Bowl, Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe