I was late to the kimchi train. I don't think I tried it for the first time until my senior year in college. But oh boy, did the experience change me. It's a staple in my fridge now and recipes like this make me glad. Kimchi Fried Rice is a comforting, Korean inspired, dish. There are so many things that make this dish a winner. You can use day old rice (in fact I recommend it!). It only takes about 15 minutes start to finish. Perfect to have as a meal in its own or as a yummy side. Want it to be Meatless Monday approved? There are several brands that make vegan kimchi or see a link below for an easy Vegan Kimchi Recipe!
What is Kimchi?
- Salted and fermented cabbage
- Can be spicy!
- Is said to help improve digestion
- Kimchi can vary a TON brand by brand. Some are spicier than others and some cut the vegetables larger than others.
You only need a few ingredients for this Kimchi Fried Rice. The best part? I often have them all on hand! It's a perfect pantry meal or side dish!
Kimchi Fried Rice Ingredients:
- Kimchi - Use your favorite! Most store-bought kimchi is not vegetarian due to its use of fish sauce, here is a great recipe for Vegan Kimchi if you want this to be veg. friendly.
- Cooked rice - day old is preferred!
- Frozen Veggies - I like to use a bag of peas and carrots, but any mixed veggies works!
- Garlic and ginger - You can use fresh or the pre-minced stuff in a jar.
- Soy sauce
- Eggs - up to you if you want them scrambled or fried on top!
Instead of scrambled eggs, you can also fry individual eggs for each serving. I love doing this and leaving the yolks a little runny. When the yolk mixes in with the rice and kimchi… OMG. But if you're trying to make a big batch at once then scrambling is super quick and easy.
I eat this kimchi fried rice alone for a simple meal. But it's awesome alongside a protein of your choice! Don't forget to sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and add a squeeze of sriracha if you really want to bring the heat.
Are you a Kimchi fan? Do you have a favorite brand or do you make it yourself?Print
Kimchi Fried Rice
Kimchi Fried Rice is a comforting meal or side dish made with just a few simple ingredients. Scramble eggs right in the pan or top each bowl with a perfect fried egg. Just 15 minutes start to finish.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dish, Sides
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus additional if needed for eggs
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh crushed or minced ginger
- 2-3 cups cooked rice (1 cup dry, prepared according to package. Day old cooked rice is awesome)
- 12 oz bag frozen veggies, such as peas and carrots
- 1 cup kimchi
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 eggs
- sriracha, sesame seeds, sliced green onions (optional, for topping)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for about a minute until fragrant.
- Add the rice, peas and carrots, soy sauce, and kimchi to the skillet. Mix everything up and stir fry until everything is sizzling, hot, and combined. Add additional soy sauce, if needed.
- For scrambled eggs: Make a well in the center of the mixture. You can add a tiny bit more of oil if you're worried about sticking. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add to the well that you made. Scramble in the center of the pan then mix with rice mixture.
- For fried eggs: Either use a separate nonstick skillet or remove fried rice and use same skillet. Heat a little bit of oil, if needed, and fry eggs to desired doneness. I love a runny yolk mixed with the rice!
- Serve as you like! Sriracha, sesame seeds, green onions. All good! Enjoy!
Interesting stuff! I'll probably share this with some of my friends. Thanks again for posting it.