This Quinoa Chicken Fajita Bake is going to be your new fave weeknight dinner recipe. Full of tons of fajita flavor and veggies, quinoa, salsa, and cheese… all cooked up in your cast iron skillet. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
Fajita Spiced Chicken
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (Sliced into 1 inch chunks)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (extra olive oil to grease the skillet)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 bell peppers (medium dice)
- 1 medium onion (medium dice)
Rest of the skillet
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked according to package directions)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican blend, cheddar, or mozzarella. Divided.)
- 1 cup salsa (use your favorite! I used medium)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- finely sliced scallions (to garnish)
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken ingredients (minus the chicken). Then toss in the chicken cubes. Refrigerate and marinate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. And cook the quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Add about a tablespoon of olive oil, when the oil is shimmering and hot add in the chicken (extra marinade included). Sauté until fully cooked. About 4-6 minutes depending on size of chicken pieces. Using tongs, remove chicken pieces from skillet, leaving extra sauce and browned bits in the pan.
- To the same hot skillet (skillet on medium-high), add the peppers and onion. Sauté until tender and even slightly charred, about 5 minutes. Add chicken back to skillet, toss to combine. And remove from heat.
- If your skillet is large enough, toss the quinoa, salsa, and 1 cup of the shredded cheese with the chicken and veggies. You can also do this in a large bowl and transfer back to skillet or into a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Top with remaining half cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes. The top layer of cheese should be bubbly and melted. Remove from oven and sprinkle on sliced green onions and serve.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican