Best Slow Cooker Pot Roast
The Best Slow Cooker Pot Roast with an easy, but delicious homemade gravy. Turn a chuck roast into a comforting, Sunday dinner. Taking the extra five minutes to make a homemade gravy takes this from an average pot roast to the best slow cooker pot roast. Serve with your favorite side (I recommend mashed potatoes) for a meal that will impress family or guests.
How to make this Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Homemade Gravy
- First, chop up the vegetables and prep the other ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or dutch oven on medium-high heat. Coat the chuck roast with salt, pepper, and flour and brown in the hot pan. Add roast to your slow cooker and top with the chopped vegetables.
- In the same pan, make the delicious homemade gravy. Start by cooking tomato paste. Then stir in red wine and flour. Finish by adding beef broth, bay leaves, thyme, and salt & pepper. Simmer and whisk until smooth and thickened.
- Pour gravy into the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Your home will smell AMAZING as this cooks and at the end of the day you’ll have a perfect comforting meal perfect for family or guests!
Browning the chuck roast is such an important step! Browning really helps amp up the flavor. And the bonus is that the browned bits left in the skillet from browning get used in the gravy. MAX flavor. The homemade gravy may seem like an extra step compared to a simple dump and cook slow cooker meal. But the gravy is what takes this from an average pot roast to the the ULTIMATE pot roast.
Serve the roast, vegetables and gravy with your favorite side. In my opinion, mashed potatoes are a no-brainer. Pouring the gravy over the potatoes makes this the most comforting meal. When the roast is almost done cooking, I like to make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes to keep this meal super simple.