Vegan Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa is healthy, filling, and uses all pantry staple ingredients! It takes just minutes of prep then into the slow cooker to cook. This recipe is the crock-pot version of this casserole bake. Perfect for a meatless dinner but packed with flavor!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Red Onion
- Can of Black Beans
- Can of Corn Kernels
- Salsa – Use your favorite!
- Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- Can of Diced Green Chiles
- Taco Seasoning – You can use your own blend or one packet is the perfect amount!
- Vegetable Broth
- Optional Toppings – Chopped fresh cilantro, squeeze of lime juice, and diced avocado.
How to make the recipe:
- Combine Ingredients in your Slow Cooker. Just add everything and stir together. It’s that easy!
- Cover and Cook on Low or High. You can cook on low or high depending on how long you have.
- Top your bowl of Mexican Quinoa with Desired Toppings. I love a squeeze of lime juice, a sprinkle of fresh cilantro, and even a little avocado if I have any on hand.
Tips and FAQs for this Mexican Quinoa Recipe:
Can I add meat?
I love this Mexican Quinoa recipe because of the protein from the quinoa and black beans, but you absolutely could add meat if you’d like. If you have leftover shredded chicken, you could stir that in about 30 minutes to an hour before it’s done – just to warm it and incorporate it. Or you could also add cubed, uncooked chicken breasts at the beginning. I recommend adding a little extra seasoning but the cook time should remain the same. Just make sure to check that the chicken is cooked through at the end
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa is often treated like a grain but it’s technically a seed. It is frequently described as a superfood and it is packed with protein, fiber, and other vitamins and minerals. It’s also gluten-free. When cooked, it is soft and fluffy and often used as a substitute for rice.
Are Sweet Potatoes ‘healthier’ than regular potatoes?
It depends on your definition of ‘healthy’! I eat and love both! They are both highly nutritious! Regular and sweet potatoes are very similar in their calorie, protein, and carb content. While sweet potatoes are very high in Vitamin A, but regular white potatoes provide more potassium.
I don’t like Sweet Potatoes, can I omit or sub?
You can absolute substitute regular white potatoes and the crock pot cook time will not change. OR, you can omit the potatoes entirely! If you decide to omit, feel free to add more beans, corn, or another veggie to bulk it up more. If you add more quinoa, you’ll need to add more liquid.Print
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 4oz diced green chiles
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3–4 tablespoons taco seasoning, 1 packet
- Optional Toppings: Fresh Cilantro, Lime Juice, Avocado
- Place all ingredients in a large slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Or until the quinoa is cooked and the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
- Category: Meatless Monday, Slow Cooker, Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mexican Quinoa, Vegan Mexican Quinoa, Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa, Vegan Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa