BBQ Chicken Sliders are a simple yet delicious appetizer. Using sweet Hawaiian rolls makes these pull aparts easy to make and fun to eat. It's the perfect recipe for leftover chicken or you can even shred up a rotisserie chicken from the store. Sliders are great for game day, game night, a party, or even potluck
What You'll Need for this BBQ Chicken Sliders Recipe:
- Package of Hawaiian Rolls - this recipe uses the standard pack that has 12 rolls. You could use the large pack and just increase the other ingredients.
- Cooked and Shredded Chicken - Great use of leftover chicken or even a store-bought rotisserie chicken
- Barbecue Sauce
- Red Onion
- Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese - or another shredded cheese of choice. I like how the heat of the pepper jack contrasts the sweet barbecue sauce.
- Fresh Cilantro or Parsley
- Garlic Powder, Salt, and Pepper
How to Make the Pull Apart Sliders:
- Preheat Oven and Prepare Pan.
- Slice Sheet of Hawaiian Rolls in Half.
- Toss Chicken with Barbecue Sauce and Layer Sliders. Start with the chicken, then the shredded cheese, sliced onions, and finally a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
- Top with other Half of Rolls. Top with rolls and brush with garlic butter.
- Bake. Tent loosely with foil to keep the top from burning. Bake until rolls are golden and cheese is melty.
Tips and FAQs!
Can These be Made in Advance?
You can prep these sliders earlier in the day and store in the fridge until ready to bake in the oven. Any further in advance then day-of, I would prep the ingredients separately (shred the chicken, slice the onions, etc.) and then assemble before cooking.
What Kind of Chicken Should I Use?
Whatever you've got! Light or dark meat works. You can cook up some boneless thighs or breast and shred them, use leftover chicken, or you can buy a rotisserie chicken at the store and shred it. You can even use canned chicken, but be sure to really drain all the liquid well. You'll want about 4 cups of shredded chicken or from about 1.5lbs of chicken.
What Barbecue Sauce Should I Use?
Your favorite! Use your favorite store-bought or you could even make your own. Here's a Kansas City Style Recipe that I love!
Other Game Day Recipes
- Cheesy Jalapeño Popper Dip
- Smoky Chipotle Salsa
- Baked Turkey Meatballs
- Fudgy Brownies
- Caramelized Onion Dip
Like this recipe? Sign up for my e-mail list so you get a weekly e-mail with new recipes from the week as well as occasional ‘bonus’ content not found on the blog! E-mail link sign up!
Those ads on the page? A portion of all ad revenue is being donated to Warrior Dog Rescue. A MN-based dog rescue that I foster and volunteer with.Print
BBQ Chicken Sliders
BBQ Chicken Sliders are a simple yet delicious appetizer. Using sweet Hawaiian rolls makes these pull aparts easy to make and fun to eat. It's the perfect recipe for leftover chicken or you can even shred up a rotisserie chicken from the store.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 sliders
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1 package Hawaiian Rolls, 12ct
- 4 cups Cooked and Shredded Chicken, from about 1.5 lbs Chicken
- 1 cup Barbecue Sauce
- 1 small Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 heaping cup shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
- Fresh Cilantro or Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray a sheet pan or 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Slice sheet of Hawaiian rolls in half, leaving individual rolls intact. Place bottom on prepared sheet.
- In a medium bowl, toss shredded chicken with half of the barbecue sauce. Spread chicken across the bottom of the rolls and brush with remaining barbecue sauce. Sprinkle shredded cheese in an even layer of the chicken, followed by a layer of sliced red onions, and a sprinkle of chopped herbs. Place top of rolls on top.
- In a small bowl, mix together melted butter and garlic powder. Brush the rolls.
- Loosely tent with aluminum foil and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before enjoying.
- Serving Size: 1 slider
- Calories: 161
- Sugar: 9.7 g
- Sodium: 286.7 mg
- Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.5 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 13.6 g
- Cholesterol: 45.3 mg
Keywords: Pull apart sliders, bbq chicken sliders, bbq chicken sliders on Hawaiian rolls,