Wild Rice Soup is a Minnesota staple. And using the crockpot allows you to make this creamy, comforting, and filling soup with little effort. Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is family friendly and perfect for soup season. Wild Rice Soup and popovers were always a favorite in our house growing up and we always had the pre-made, frozen version from Lunds & Byerly’s in our freezer. But, making it homemade with this recipe is surprisingly easy.
Ingredients You’ll Need for the Wild Rice Soup:
- Chicken Stock or Broth
- Chicken Breasts
- Mirepoix: Onion, Celery, and Carrots
- Spices: Dried Thyme, Dried Rosemary, Dried Bay Leaves, Salt and Pepper
- Wild Rice
- Sliced Almonds – You could omit these, if you prefer, but I love the texture they add
- Butter and Flour – to make the roux that thickens the soup
- Milk – I used whole milk, but you could use a lower fat milk, if you’d like
- Fresh Parsley
This recipes makes a BIG batch of soup. Since it’s kid-friendly, it’s perfect for a comforting, winter family meal. If you do have leftovers, they’ll keep in the fridge for about 5 days. Be prepared for the soup to thicken further as it sits. When you go to reheat, you can always add a little more milk to thin it out.
Like this Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup? Here are some other crockpot soups to check out!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Sweet Potato Pork Stew
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
Wild Rice Soup is a Minnesota staple. Using the crockpot allows you to make this creamy, comforting, and filling soup with little effort. Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is family friendly and perfect for soup season.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cloves garlic (minced or crushed)
- 1 medium yellow onion (finely diced)
- 3 medium carrots (peeled or scrubbed and diced)
- 3 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms (finely diced or pulsed in a food processor)
- 1/2 cups sliced almonds (finely chopped or pulsed in a food processor)
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups Milk (I used whole milk. Plus an additional 1/2–1 cup if needed to thin out soup to desired consistency)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Add chicken to a large slow cooker. Add wild rice, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. Pour in chicken stock and add a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, add the finely diced mushrooms and almonds. Cook on low for 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, prepare the roux. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, stirring until lightly browned. About 1 minute. Whisk in 2 cups of milk, whisking constantly until smooth and slightly thickened – about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Remove chicken breast and shred or chop up.
- Stir shredded chicken and milk into the slow cooker. If the soup is too thick, you an add a little more milk until desired consistency is reached. Taste and adjust salt and pepper, if needed. Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Category: Main Dish, Slow Cooker
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American