Quinoa is one of my favorite ingredients to use in plant based meals. Loaded with fiber and protein, this amazing grain packs a filling punch. I love the versatility of quinoa salads – serve warm or cold, as a side or a main dish. And this Southwest Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad is no exception. The black beans, corn, and cilantro bring southwest flavors, but the browned butternut squash adds a fun twist. Tossed together with an easy dressing – I’m talking all pantry staple ingredients! This vegan salad needs to be on your menu.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Southwest Quinoa Salad:
- Butternut Squash
- Can of Black Beans
- Can of Corn Kernels
- Fresh Cilantro
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Spices: Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Cumin, Ground Cayenne Pepper, Garlic Powder
Prepping this quinoa salad takes just a few steps.
- Start the quinoa cooking, according to package directions. You can cook the quinoa in water or use vegetable broth for extra flavor!
- While the quinoa cooks, sauté the butternut squash. The squash is done when it is tender when pierced with a fork and golden brown on all sides.
- Mix up the dressing! Whisk the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and spices together.
- Finally, toss it all together! Cooked quinoa, rinsed and drained corn and beans, sautéed butternut squash, and chopped fresh cilantro.
Wondering how to serve the Southwest Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad? There are so many options! It can be a meal on its own or served alongside some protein of your choice. It tastes great warm or eat it straight from the fridge for an easy workweek lunch.
Looking for other Quinoa recipes?
- Everyday Quinoa Salad
- Vegan Mexican Quinoa Bake
- Meatless Quinoa Black Bean Tacos
- Vegan Quinoa Chili
- Vegan Thai Quinoa Salad
- Quinoa Chicken Fajita Bake
Southwest Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad is a versatile, vegan recipe. Serve as a side or mind dish, warm or cold. Quinoa, black beans, corn, butternut squash, and cilantro. All tossed together with an easy pantry ingredient dressing.
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions
- 4 cups diced butternut squash, from a 2lb squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 15oz can corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, more or less to spice preference
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cook the butternut squash. Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced squash and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté until the squash is fork tender and slightly browned on all sides. This will take about 15 minutes. If the squash starts to stick, you can add a tiny bit of water to loosen things up.
- While the squash cooks, mix up the dressing. Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa, corn, black beans, and cooked squash. Add the dressing and chopped cilantro and toss together. Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed.
- Category: Meatless Monday, Side, Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American